Thursday, May 9, 2013

Back on Stage

My favorite place to work as an actor, without question, Lyric Stage in Irving, Texas.  Stephen Jones musical theater is an amazing place, where they do classic American musicals (Oklahoma, West Side Story, The King & I) with full, 40-piece orchestras and the original Broadway scores.  The shows done on Broadway now aren't even done this way.
I'm getting back up at Lyric in June in the first show I ever saw, The Music Man.  I was 5-years old and went with my mother and older brother to the Majestic theater on Broadway. And when the curtain went up, and I saw the guys bouncing up and down on the train in the opening number, I knew I wanted to do what they were doing.  It took awhile, but starting in 1980, I did.  Start on stage, that is.
Here's a shot from the last show I did at Lyric...
You don't need to be told, do you?  It's 1776, and these are three of the finest musical performers I've ever shared a stage with.  David Coffee (Ben Franklin), Brian Gonzales (John Adams), and Bryant Martin (Thomas Jefferson).
Here's a way to get some more info on Lyric. Click here to visit the Lyric Stage website.  And come see The Music Man.  Cause you ain't heard 76 Trombones until you've heard it played by the full, Broadway band.

No comments:

Post a Comment